Ah it’s summer time – everyone is jetting off to their favorite destinations and I am feeling a bit nostalgic about one place in particular – Mykonos, Greece.
So many people I know are there right now so I figured I would put up my favorite pics from my recent trip and make “A Shah’s Life Guide to Mykonos.” Let me preface my guide by stating: Do not question whether or not to go here. GO! You will fall in love with the Island! Especially if you follow my tips below.
Mykonos is the island of beaches, parties and brotherly love. Please note I have listed everything in order of preference. Here we go!
ok yes it is probably sold out by the time you made your reservation, so you can try another luxury hotel but I would suggest getting a villa instead. Also note that most people travel by quads (4 wheelers) which I recommend. They are fun, safe and a great way to get around the whole island. It also makes it convenient for where ever you choose to stay on your holiday. Bonus: they are a relatively inexpensive means of transportation.
1. Psarou Beach (my home away from home) – beautiful, scenester beach with burgundy beds packed-in as tightly as you can imagine. Don’t be surprised if you run into Dean and Dan Caten from DSquared2 there. It is also there home away from home.
2. Aglos Sostis Beach – A hidden, beautiful, crystal, blue bay worth the windy trip to find it. It’s quiet and breathtaking. The perfect place to relax after your lunch at Kikis Tavern.
3. Platys Gialos Beach – A more tame beach without loud music, but you will still be packed in sun beds side to side. Of course, you still have the beautiful view of the sea.
4. Paranga Beach & Kalua Beach - Young and trendy crowd dominates the scene, with the beautiful sunset as the backdrop while throbbing lively music fills the atmosphere. You will find day and night parties here.
1. Nammos - Incredible food and scene on Psarou beach. It gives you that “St. Tropez” feeling. Yes everyone is sippin’ Rose’
2. Kikis Tavern – A small quaint lunch spot with fresh grilled seafood and an incredible view overlooking Aglos Sostis Beach. There is no sign or electricity, but you can smell the barbeque and see a crowd of people – your indication that you are in the right spot. A Must!
3. Matsuhisa “Nobu” – because you are staying at the Belvedere remember?? Yes, why go here when we have it in all of our major cities? Well for one, the food is pretty damn good and two, it is one of the hottest scenes for dinner. Make sure to hit up the Sunset Bar at the very least!
4. Avli Tou Thodori – Cute and smart decor, with great greek classics and again, another beautiful beach. Make sure to try the The Loukoumades – delicious Greek donuts.
5. Interni - From the minute you make your entrance down the white steps into the walled garden, you know this place is special. Perfect for dinner. Plus it is located right in the middle of town, so it’s quite a charming stroll while you try to locate the place.
6. Koursaros – One of the best fish restaurants in Mykonos Town. Tucked away around a corner, many people must walk past Koursaros without realizing there is a fantastic open air restaurant that makes you feel as if you are in a luxe sailboat.
7. Aqua Taverna - Boasting an enchanting view of windmills and the sea, this place does not rely on its perfect location to gain attention. The food does all the talking. Although the serene setting is undoubtedly perfect for romantic… BUT it is also perfect for a group of friends celebrating an ending to a perfect trip.
8. Satin Sea Market & Cavo Tagoo – Unfortunately I was not able to try out these spots, but EVERYONE talks about them. Therefore I added them to the list.
1. Astra – While wandering the endless white walkways of Mykonos village it arrives like a welcome dose of chic in a sea of touristy shops and kitschy cocktail bars. Astra is a well-known hangout for yacht-hoppers and celeb-revelers that seek out this terrace cocktail lounge and dance bar for its 12pm-2am scene of champagne sipping.
2. Belvedere Bar – Might as well. It’s in your hotel!
2. Club Cavo Paradise - It overlooks the cobalt blue Mediterranean on one of the island’s highest peaks, it could easily be a luxurious resort if it were not for the pounding-thump of bass music and all-night parties (which we love of course). It’s pretty much considered a mega-club and features an oversize swimming pool surrounded by dance cabanas and super-disco (Mykonos loves the word super) that lures celebrities and some of our favorite DJs in nightlife.
3. Paradise Club: It’s not the chicest beach in Mykonos, albeit Paradise is one of the most popular despite its neighboring campground. It’s an all white disco mansion with an outdoor pool deck divided under covered porches and glitzy white VIP banquettes. Dance lovers descend on the space for performances by artists like David Guetta, Bob Sinclar, Roger Sanchez, Martin Solveig and Moby. Just make sure to check around the streets for fliers with which DJs (and I mean ALL DJs) are coming into town. It makes you feel like the DJs are popping over before or after their gigs in Ibiza.
That is it for now – please feel free to add any other suggestions below. Bisous NYS